Welcome

You are now here, essentially inside my head.

Hello, welcome, enjoy.

Please leave your sanity at the door, it's not needed here.








Friday 7 October 2011

Lectures and a night out

So, lectures have officially begun now, and I have a ton to do. So much so that it’s been keeping me from blogging as often as I would like to. I was expecting there to be a lot of work, I really was, but there’s a fair amount more than I was expecting for the first week. I don’t honestly mind the amount of work we have to do; I enjoy the subjects so it’s not an issue. I just need to re-learn some time management skills! For creative writing, by Monday 10th I need to have written the first 5 pages of a prospective novel (double spaced that’s about 500 words which doesn’t sound a lot but when it’s on a totally random idea you pulled out of your arse in 10 minutes in class it’s tricky) and alongside that I have to read and note my responses to A Clockwork Orange by the 17th. I have had the misfortune to have struggled through A Clockwork Orange before, and I am not looking forward to having to read it again. It’s one of those books that I can honestly say I cannot stand. I will happily read things even when they’re not in my favourite genre, but I draw the line at a limp plotline and made up words. Nobody should be permitted to make up so many words without even including a glossary. I mean really, it’s stupid. I hated this book at GCSE and having gotten to chapter three this time around, I know that I’m not going to like it any more than I did then. It’s not even that well written! So yea, Creative Writing is looking to be a lot of work.

Religious studies hasn’t been that heavy yet, though I’m pretty sure it will be. We’ve had a lecture on Sikhism which was brilliantly interesting, but there’s been no work set outside of lessons other than reviewing the lesson schedule and making sure we pick up at least some of the recommended books on the reading list. We don’t need all of them and we can use the ones in the library as much as we want during essays anyway because it doesn’t matter if we own them or not. So long as we include them in the Bibliography we’re laughing. It’s good because religious studies books are pretty darn expensive; if I had to buy all ten of them I would be properly broke. Well, more broke than I am now. That said, at the moment money isn’t so much of an issue as it could be, though I’m fully expecting it to get a lot worse as the year goes on.

As much as there is a lot to do, I took last night off and went to a club in Bath with the people I share a kitchen with. There will be pictures at some point, I will put them in a later blog (if I remember) they’ve just not been uploaded to Facebook yet. It was a really fun night and I’m so glad I decided to go; I wasn’t going to join everyone originally. Once we had finished in the club be and my Roommate decided that we wanted chips, like you do. We walked to a burger van ensuring everyone else that we would get the next bus and be home really soon. You can already tell that THAT plan failed. The first, and only, burger van we found had a massive queue. We were slightly tipsy so we were prepared to wait. We were so close to getting our food when a homeless guy decided to attack the van, smashing a window and making the man owning the van close up. So we started walking up town to see what else we could find. About half an hour and some conversations with random people later we found a Kebab shop and the chips we wanted. At this point I should mention that I was wearing 4 inch heels and I had been standing / dancing for a good few hours. From the top of town we then walked back to the bus stop. About 3:30am we stumbled back to campus, I had taken my shoes off and I think that was the better option. This morning I discovered that not only were my feet black, but that I had a blister on every toe. Needless to say it hurts. I have no idea what would have happened to my poor feet if I’d kept my shoes on any longer.
It was a good night out though, and I’m glad I went. Bit knackered today though. Ah well, such is Uni life.

No comments:

Post a Comment